Should I get my kid a card? Valentine’s Day and how to get your kid through
Parenting wisdom for Valentine’s Day
1) Thinking of getting your kid a Valentine’s card just in case? Resist! Resist! Resist! If they find out, they’ll throw furniture across the room or sulk for a week
2) Show them that you care in a different way
3) Start by sharing your experiences of when you didn’t receive a card yourself
4) But only if they ask. Don’t make a big deal of it
5) Don’t say “It’s just a gimmick anyway”
6) Ask them if they sent any cards? Was it hard?
7) Tell them you have to be brave to send one, and it’s possible that the person who could have sent them a card couldn’t quite pluck up the courage
8) If they’re really upset that the postie didn’t call, be there for them. But listen and watch for signs and if they seem un-bothered it’s possibly because they are
9) And finally, if your own Valentine did get you a card, flowers, box at the theatre, sports car and your favourite scent – perhaps keep quiet about it….